Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Here's a peek at our first day of school. 

This first picture is the poster on our classroom door. It is an adaptation of a saying that is currently burning up the internet with its use-popular, but also speaks volumes about how to empower a child. I added in some ideas from my students.

 This second picture is our "We Are" poster. Each student wrote what they are, or wanted to be, on a Post-It note. Everyone has a voice and everyone's identity is important. I also want to help expand how they see themselves. Between the door poster and their "We Are" poster, I want them to see that they can be and are everything!
 Math time gave us a chance to chart out how each of them got home. Some great observations were made. Included in the picture were: "Most students go home by bus," "The number of people to get picked up plus the number of people who walk or ride their bike is about the same as the number of students who ride the bus!" and "Nobody goes to C.A.R.E.!" We had an opportunity to discuss puns when one of the students said, "You mean nobody C.A.R.E.s?" I think this will be a very pun-ny year!
This fourth picture was the result of a Lego listening activity. Yes, a Lego listening activity! Each student was given a bag with 6 Legos in it. I built a shape out of 4 of the 6 and hid it in the box. As I described my creation, the students had to make the same creation as I described it. This gave us the opportunity to do a little language building as well when some words needed defining-like base. The students were challenged to help define these words and I think some very kid friendly definitions were created. After this mostly successful lesson, we moved to describing what a good listener is/has/does and then what a good speaker is/has/does. This is a very perceptive class!

One of the most important things we did today was to clarify why students are assessed. This will not be the last time this is covered. I believe that it is imperative that students know the why behind testing in order to de-scarify the process. Many reasons were suggested and after discussion the big answer was:
So the teacher knows what to teach and knows if what I think I taught, is what they learned.

Much more happened today. There are so many routines to put into place and important information to share. Don't forget to ask your child what happened at school today. See the page link (How was their day?) above for ideas on how to get your child to share his or her day at school.

No comments:

Post a Comment