Sunday, August 24, 2014

A little about me....

Welcome!
Let me introduce myself......
     I am Maureen Soumokil and this will be my 14th year as an employee with the Newberg School District. I was also a classroom volunteer for a few years before I came to work for the school district. I started as a kindergarten classroom education assistant at Mabel Rush then moved to working as a Title One Reading assistant for a few years. My longest and final stint serving students as an education assistant was with the Learning Resource Center, also at Mabel Rush.
     In 2008 I realized that I loved serving students and liked who I was around them, so I went back to school and graduated with my BSEd in January of 2012. I had the privilege to do my final full-time student teaching with Mischelle Rierson who is part of our grade level teaching team here at Crater. I am currently pursuing my master's degree from George Fox University with endorsements in Reading and ESOL.
     While working on my BSEd and after graduating, I continued working as an education assistant part-time and substituted as a teacher half-days. Last year I had the privilege to be part of the ELL teaching team at Mabel Rush with the teacher I started my education assistant career. This year I am excited to have my own classroom!
     I have also served at various levels for the Mabel Rush parent group while my daughters were attending school there. From parent classroom volunteer,  as education assistant, as parent group co-president and volunteer coordinator, and as a teacher I have had the privilege to see public education and how it can serve our children from many perspectives.
     I am excited to get to know each of my students and start this year's learning journey! I believe that every child can achieve. Learning is a life-long journey and what we can achieve is a matter of having a Learner or Growth Mindset and asking the right questions. I look forward to question asking and learning alongside my class.

No comments:

Post a Comment